Van Insurance Buyer's Guide
Welcome to the Van Insurance Guide, on this page we hope to explain the fundamentals of van insurance and what the different types of cover entail.
What Is Van Insurance?
This is a type of insurance that is designed to protect your van, its passengers and with options to protect the goods being carried or the tools and equipment stored within the van.
Do I Need Van Insurance?
It is illegal to drive a van without valid insurance. This also applies to other vehivles including vans, cars, motorcycles and HGV.
What Are the Cover Levels?
- Third Party. This is the minimum legal requirement but only provides cover for injury or damage to third party property and persons. No cover is provided for your own van.
- Third Party Fire and Theft. In addition to those risks covered in Third Party your car would be covered if damaged by fire or if stolen.
- Comprehensive. In addition to those risks covered in Third Party and Third Party Fire and Theft your van is covered for accidental damage.
- Laid Up cover. If the van is off the road and kept in a garage say for restoration then it could be covered for theft and fire.
Additional Cover Options
- Tools in Van Cover. This cover option can provide replacement tools in the event that they are stolen.
- Goods in Transit Cover. Provides cover in the event that your goods are damagedor stolen during transit.
- Breakdown Cover. This protects your vehicle in the event of a breakdown whilst on the road.
- Legal Cover. This option provides protection against legal costs in the event of an accident that was not your fault.
- Courtesy Vehicle. This will provide a replacement loan vehicle in the event of an accident during repair.
- Windscreen & Window Cover. Covers you for damage to windscreens and windows in your vehicle.
- Misfuelling Cover. Protects you if you accidentally use the wrong fuel type in your vehicle.
- Key Cover. Provides a set of replacement keys should you lose them.
What Factors will Effect my Van Insurance Quotes?
There are a number of factors that will effect your van insurance quotations, the main four are as follows:
- What Van You Drive. The make and model aswell as the condition and modifications will all effect the van insurance premium.
- Your Age. One thing you can almost always take for granted is that the older you are, the cheaper your van insurance is likely to be.
- Level of Cover. Third Party Only van insurance will usually be cheaper than Fully Comprehensive cover therefore it's best to compare your options on cover level when requesting quotes.
- Driving Convictions or Claims. If you have a poor driving record including points, convictions or claims - all of which can increase your premium.
How Can I save Money on Van Insurance?
The best way to save money on van insurance is to use a company that can provide their best quotation from a panel of multiple insurers. That's why with our panel of specialists who have access to multiple insurers you stand a much better chance of obtaining a cheaper quotation.
Tradesman Van Insurance
Whatever your trade, we could help with our range of tradesman van insurance options.Go
Whatever goods you carry, whatever you drive, we could help save you money on courier insurance.Go
Medium to large haulage vehicles could save with our free to use comparison service.Go
Posted on May 26, 2020
Van drivers will be interested to read that in the 3 month period December 2019 to February 2020 (Q1 2020), the average cost of car insurance rose to £755 per annum compared to £730 per annum for the previous quarter. … Continue reading
Posted on May 9, 2020
Owners of vans may be interested to read about some concerning statistics relating to the theft of vans here in the UK. The research was published back in October last year by Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles. Apparently, in the four years … Continue reading